COVID-19: International and Out of Province Placements Currently on Hold
The Department of Physical Therapy recognizes the challenging situation and impacts of COVID-19 on all students, including non-UBC Canadian students. All physical therapy clinical placements within BC are coordinated through the Department and require application to the College of Physical Therapists of BC. We are currently unable to support requests for clinical placements for students from out of country or out of province institutions.
At this time, we cannot commit to a timeline for when we will be able to consider requests from our out of country and out of province educational partners. We truly value the opportunity to support out of country and out of province students and will be sure to update our Department website when we are able to consider these requests again in future.
Please see below for more information on the process once out of province and international placements resume.
Out-of-Province (OOP) Student Placement Enquiries
** Under no circumstances should an Out-of-Province student approach a site directly to arrange a clinical placement. Unprofessional behaviour (such as approaching a clinical site then asking the department to facilitate the placement) will result in your request not being considered.**
Please note: There are no placement opportunities available for OOP students at private clinics in BC. Possible placements are only available at Student-led Clinics and the Central Interior Native Health Society Clinic (CINHS).
Students currently enrolled in Physical Therapy programs at other Canadian universities may request clinical placements in British Columbia through the Academic Coordinator of Clinical Education at their home universities. Out-of-Province clinical placements can only be arranged in this manner. Students who do not arrange placements in this manner will not be accommodated in BC for clinical placements.
UBC does not support requests for shadow or observational placements from out of province. The provincial and national requirements for administration of these placements are unfortunately prohibitive (e.g. health and safety, insurance, College of Physical Therapists registration). Students interested in pursuing a formal clinical placement however, are encouraged to email the UBC Clinical Education Officer for details on the application process.
Please click here and go to “Placement Opportunities in our BC Student-led Clinics” for more information on the facilities. Students will gain interprofessional exposure as well as have the opportunity for peer learning from other students. Caseloads will vary but have a strong emphasis on neuromusculoskeletal issues.
Please click here to see the site profile for the CINHS.
Please note that arrangements for clinical placements for OOP students often require several months to a full year.
International Student Clinical Placement/Internship Enquiries
Please review the following:
- While we welcome enquiries, opportunities for clinical placements in British Columbia are very limited and we cannot guarantee that a suitable placement will be available for you.
- Under no circumstances may an international student approach a site directly to arrange a clinical placement. Unprofessional behaviour (such as approaching a clinical site then asking the department to facilitate the placement) will result in your request not being considered.
- Clinical placement opportunities are available to international students at student-led clinics. Placements are not available at private clinics in BC. Please click here and go to “Placement Opportunities in our BC Student-led Clinics” for more information about the facilities. UBC does not support requests for shadow or observational placements for international students due to prohibitive provincial and national administrative requirements (e.g. health and safety, insurance, College of Physical Therapists registration). Students interested in pursuing a formal clinical placement however, are encouraged to email for details on the application process.
- A cheque for a Clinical Internship Request Fee of $1,000.00 (Canadian Dollars) will be required to begin the process of searching for a suitable clinical placement option (pending space availability in the appropriate year and approval from the department to move forward with the request). Please note, if paying by wire transfer, the fee is $1,150 CAD. The fee subject to change.
- Please note our cancellation policy. The fee is non-refundable if a student cancels a placement for any reason once a placement has been confirmed.
For more information on the process please email.