1. Start an application online
Start an application online through the Faculty of Graduate and Post-doctoral Studies online application system. You will need to create a new CWL account if don’t already have one. Existing UBC students can login using their current CWL credentials.
2. Prepare and upload your documents
Please make sure that you have the following documentation scanned and ready to be uploaded and submitted on your online application.
For all applicants
- Your completed Prerequisite Academic Information Sheet
You must fill out and submit a prerequisite form to your online application. It will not be accepted by mail, email or dropped-off in person.
At the time of application, you are required to submit scanned copies of official transcripts issued by all post-secondary institutions that you have attended (except UBC). Please make sure that transcripts are the most updated copy and have an issue date after January 2015. Print-outs or screenshots of unofficial results or transcripts will not be accepted. Physical transcripts are not required during the application process.
If you are currently in the last year of your undergraduate degree, submit your most recent transcript that contains all final grades for the September – December semester.1 3
- AP/IB credits (if applicable)
If you are using high-school, AP or IB courses to meet prerequisite requirements, you must also submit high-school, AP and IB transcripts. Print-outs or screenshots of unofficial results or transcripts will not be accepted. Physical transcripts are not required during the application process.1 2 3
As part of the application process, you are required to submit the contact information for 3 referees: 3 4
- Two academic references must be submitted electronically by two individuals who are prepared to provide a report on your academic ability and qualifications. An automated message will be sent to the email address you provide requesting that they submit a reference electronically. References submitted electronically are tracked by the online application system. Alternatively, they may complete a paper form and post it to the Department of Physical Therapy in a sealed and signed envelope
- One practical experience reference can be submitted electronically or by mail. Practical experience referees are requested to complete the practical experience referee form. It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide the form to the individual with whom you undertook your practical experience and who is appropriate to provide a report on your 70 hours of volunteer/paid work practical experience working with individuals with physical, emotional or cognitive disabilities. It may not be completed by the applicant. Referees who can access the online application system may scan the completed copy of the practical experience referee form and upload it onto the online application system. We will not accept the reference if it is emailed to the department. If an academic referee is unable to provide an electronic reference, they may post a copy of the completed practical experience referee to the Department of Physical Therapy in a sealed and signed envelope.The department’s postal address is:
Admissions, Department of Physical Therapy
212 – 2177 Wesbrook Mall
Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Y3
- Written response
Beginning with the application to the program beginning September 2018, all applicants must submit a 200 2019 Written response to a question posed by the program. 3
- Comp document
There has been the addition of a required document containing work, volunteering, experience, as well as any awards, distinctions you may have received to be submitted to the application. 3
- English proficiency test results (if applicable)
Applicants who completed their degree at a post-secondary institution outside of Canada where English is not the primary language of instruction, must provide results of an English language proficiency examination as part of their application. Tests must have been taken within the last 24 months at the time of submission of your application. 3
- Birth certificate or marriage certificate (if applicable)
If any of your documents are issued under a different name, please provide proof to support a name change such as a marriage certificate. 3
Additional documentation required for domestic applicants
- BC Care Card/BC Services Card
If you are applying as a BC Resident, you are required to provide a scanned copy of your BC Care Card or your BC Services Card (front and back). 3
- Permanent Resident Card (if applicable)
If you are applying as a Permanent Resident, you are required to provide proof of immigration status and date of landing by submitting a copy of both the front and back of your Permanent Resident documentation. 3
- Northern and Rural Cohort Application (if applicable)
If you are applying to be part of the Northern and Rural Cohort, you will also need to complete and submit a supplementary NRC application by the application deadline.The application for the Northern and Rural Cohort can be found Northern-Rural-Remote-Lived-Experiences-Form-2019 and Northern-Rural-Cohort-Application-Form-2019. Please see the Help Guide for detailed instructions on how to fill out the application. 3Notes1 Please note that the new online application system will allow you to upload transcripts after you have submitted your application.2 We cannot access high-school, AP or IB transcripts that may have previously been sent to UBC’s Enrolment Services or UBC Undergraduate Admissions. All high-school, AP or IB transcripts must be resubmitted. Information about requesting an IB transcript can be found on the IB website. Information about requesting an AP transcript can be found on the AP website on the AP Score Reporting Services page. All applicants who wish to use AP or IB courses are responsible for arranging to receive these transcripts and uploading them to the application. Transcripts received by our office via mail or dropped-off in person will not be accepted for any reason.3 If you applied previously to the MPT program, you will need to resubmit all documentation, including all reference letters.4 Your referees will be asked by the system to provide an electronic reference only after you have submitted your application
- Accepted document formats:PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG or GIF files, or zip files containing PDF and MS Word files only. Any other file types will not be accepted. If your uploaded document is in an accepted format, but is unreadable or corrupt, you will be asked to re-upload your documentation. It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide clear documentation that can be used in the application evaluation process.
- When completing the online application, you will be prompted to upload specific documentation. Questions on the online application will specify which documents need to be uploaded.
- Each upload question will only allow one file upload; if the question requests multiple documents, you will have to combine all the documents into one file in the correct format before uploading
4. Indicate if you will be applying for the Northern and Rural Cohort
If you are applying to be a part of the Northern and Rural Cohort (NRC) please ensure that you indicate your interest on your online application when prompted. You will also need to complete and submit an experience form and a supplementary application form by the application deadline. Applications received after this time will not be considered for admission in the NRC cohort. Please see the help guide for detailed instructions of how to fill out the application.
5. Submit your application
Once you have completed all of the necessary sections of the application form and uploaded the required documentation, pay the online application fee and submit your online application.
It is highly recommended that you submit an application as soon as possible. The admissions office suggests that the latest by which your application should be submitted is December 14 as referees will be notified to submit a electronic reference only after you have submitted an application.
|Application opens on||October 5 2018||October 5 2018|
|Application closes on||January 5, 2019||December 14, 2018|
|Prerequisite Course Review Request Deadline||November 1, 2018||November 1, 2018|
|Document Deadline||January 15, 2019||January 9, 2019|
|Reference Deadline||January 15, 2019||January 15, 2019|
6. Pay all Application Fees
All applicants are required to pay an online application fee to the UBC Faculty of Graduate and Post-doctoral Studies when submitting an online application to the Master of Physical Therapy program. All applicants are also required to pay a supplementary application fee directly to our department. The application fee and the supplemental application fee must be paid at the time of application via the Evision online application system.
Application fees are based on your citizenship at the time of application. You may be required to provide proof of Canadian citizenship, and must provide proof of Permanent Residency.
|Domestic Amount||International Amount||Method of Payment|
|Application Fee||$104.00||$168.25||Online, by Visa or MasterCard only|
|Supplemental Application Fee||$116.25||$116.25||
The supplementary application fee of $116.25 CDN is paid at the time of application submission. Please do not send any payments to our office.
7. Check the status of your application
After submitting your application, it is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all supporting materials are submitted by the application deadline. You can check the status of your application and supporting materials through the online application system.
Please do not contact the department office for an update on the status of your application.